You are not logged in.

How hard was it, to sell your ONE last grail?

#26 2017-02-24 11:07am

JS-44SDS
Pro MemberProfile Ultimate Pro
Signed up: 2008-01-27
Bikes: 4

Re: How hard was it, to sell your ONE last grail?

Didn't bother me one bit but none of what I had owned I considered any kind of grail....it was just collectible  bikes and parts that were cool to me.   Once I started selling I never stopped and do not regret it one bit....out of everything I owned I kept two completes and thats it.

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

Tamir Rice was killed by his parents utter stipidity.

Guy passes away, Free parts equals a Corvette

#27 2017-02-24 11:09am

Cru Jumper Jones
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2013-10-06

SuperNOOBIE wrote:

I limit quantities of any given hobby I am involved in. If you dont enjoy owning an item as much as you would if you paid off that credit card.......I say sell it.

Agreed. Also, I'm not sure I would have any BMX if I had proper storage for a 2-stroke motocross, which is more of a love to me than BMX. I basically settled for BMX as a hobby. I do love it & enjoyed coming back to it since 2013 but it's not 2-stroke motocross neutral

#28 2017-02-24 11:13am

Cru Jumper Jones
Museum Addict

JS-44SDS wrote:

Didn't bother me one bit but none of what I had owned I considered any kind of grail....it was just collectible  bikes and parts that were cool to me.   Once I started selling I never stopped and do not regret it one bit....out of everything I owned I kept two completes and thats it.

Scott, that's a good way of looking at it. The word "grail" might be too strong & just may be another reason for our fanatical attachment. So you have 2 completes left now?

#29 2017-02-24 11:17am

Peace12
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2012-10-26
Bikes: 13

All great questions.  I sold off all my BMX bikes about a year or two ago (80's BMX mostly).  Then about 4 months ago I got my first Auburn and really liked it and got the bug again.  So I thought I'd gravitate toward this mid-school stuff and then into new school.  Now as I type I have 4 complete Auburns, 1 complete 2006 Standard Cruiser (my first and really like it) and one more Auburn frame I'm currently building.  I do have an older mountain bike (26") that I ride as well.  Sold one of my Auburns the other day (not listed above) and now I'm thinking about selling some more.  I think I'd like to get down to 1 or 2 bikes I love and just ride. Problem is I seem to love them all....lol.

#30 2017-02-24 11:29am

JS-44SDS

Cru Jumper Jones wrote:

JS-44SDS wrote:

Scott, that's a good way of looking at it. The word "grail" might be too strong & just may be another reason for our fanatical attachment. So you have 2 completes left now?

yup...and a few f/f sets and aome other odds and ends but it will ALL go.  Down to maybe my last 5-10 %.

I try not to let anything "get my goat", but solid colored chains make me want to punch infants.  Charlie Brown

#31 2017-02-24 11:38am

jriedmiller
Pro Member
Signed up: 2013-03-29
Bikes: 22

Bikes, like all inanimate objects, evoke very little emotion from me.  I enjoy owning/building/riding interesting and rare bikes but, at the end of the day, selling them is super easy no matter how impossible it would be to find another.  I sold my childhood Diamondback some 5+ years back and didn't bat an eye about that either.  Unless it has a heartbeat, I'm not bothered by seeing it go if space, money or boredom lead me to that decision.

Last edited by jriedmiller (2017-02-24 11:39am)

Buying high and selling low for decades!

#32 2017-02-24 11:58am

Cru Jumper Jones
Museum Addict

jriedmiller wrote:

Bikes, like all inanimate objects, evoke very little emotion from me.  I enjoy owning/building/riding interesting and rare bikes but, at the end of the day, selling them is super easy no matter how impossible it would be to find another.  I sold my childhood Diamondback some 5+ years back and didn't bat an eye about that either.  Unless it has a heartbeat, I'm not bothered by seeing it go if space, money or boredom lead me to that decision.

Good insight. Thumbs up!

#33 2017-02-24 12:02pm

Coco
Signed up: 2011-03-03

It was hard to list it for sale but once I got the cash and shipped it I didn't care anymore.

It is just stuff. Besides, I have a rule that if I don't ride it regularly it is gone. I have no more rare or carpet queen BMX bikes. All gone and what I ride is what I own now which is two 26" L&S cruisers.

#34 2017-02-24 12:06pm

Cru Jumper Jones
Museum Addict

Coco wrote:

It was hard to list it for sale but once I got the cash and shipped it I didn't care anymore. It is just stuff.

Thanks

#35 2017-02-24 1:08pm

JS-44SDS

Coco wrote:

It was hard to list it for sale but once I got the cash and shipped it I didn't care anymore.

It is just stuff. Besides, I have a rule that if I don't ride it regularly it is gone. I have no more rare or carpet queen BMX bikes. All gone and what I ride is what I own now which is two 26" L&S cruisers.

Yup, thought I was going to regret it when I started....never did regret it once.

#36 2017-02-24 5:01pm

TWENTYFOUR7EVEN
Pro Membermarvingarden
Signed up: 2010-06-27
Website

This thread is a tad depressing:/

Want to buy:

Schwinn maximizer tire red orphan 20x2.125

Items for sale: https://bmxmuseum.com/forsale/search?user=45248

NO TRADES
NO NEGATIVE MEMBERS ALLOWED

#37 2017-02-24 5:18pm

RikRoxx
Pro Member
Signed up: 2016-04-14
Bikes: 14

I've done this a few times the past few years. For myself, it's a constant cycle- buy, build, ride and swear I'm going down to one bike- and sell.  And of course a few months later I find a frame that is just to cool to pass up....... and before I know it I have an official bike room (again).  It's not hard to sell them but I do miss them afterwards- I regret selling a few but I also regret buying a few. The bike I enjoyed the most, miss the most and regret selling the most was a lowly DS bike- I never would've thought out of everything that would be the one.

#38 2017-03-01 9:48am

made2drag
Pro MemberHaro Lineage Fan
Signed up: 2012-03-15
Bikes: 9

TWENTYFOUR7EVEN wrote:

+1

#39 2017-03-01 9:58am

oldskoolkel
Museum Addict
Signed up: 2012-02-13

They are only bikes, I have never been that attached to them. If you feel the need to sell it, chances are you are no longer that attached. Or if you have to sell out of needing to, then it is only a bike, so if needs must, off it goes.
At the end of the day, kids bikes..... big_smile

1983 Porsche 911 SC, 1978 Ford Capri 3.0 Xpack
2011 26" OM Flyer, 2010 metal wrap retro loop tail PK, 2000 aluminium Mongoose SGX 24"
ROM Boys....40 years of RAD.

#40 2017-03-01 11:27am

Cru Jumper Jones
Museum Addict

made2drag wrote:

TWENTYFOUR7EVEN wrote:

+1

True. There was a cloud of gloom over me as I wrote it neutral

#41 2017-03-01 4:43pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-02-17
Bikes: 21
For Sale: 2

So Hard that i have a hard time selling bikes that are not my grail and heck not even sure wich one is my grail,changes from time to time.

#42 2017-03-01 4:44pm

perront
Pro MemberLEVEL UP
Signed up: 2010-06-21
Bikes: 24

king stinger wrote:

So Hard that i have a hard time selling bikes that are not my grail and heck not even sure wich one is my grail,changes from time to time.

The Stovepipe is NOT your grail, and you haven't built it yet.  Find a way to put it in my hands! lol

44T BMX Club, Chicago -- USA-MADE SINCE 2010
Beware of my alter ego, PLANTAIN -- "If there's one thing I won't guarantee, it's your safety!"
Luther Is A Good Ol' Dog Club -- See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend!
Ford Mustang — what a dance we had!
Free AgentFree AgentBontragerTNTBossSupercrossSkywayKappa GTProfileProfileELFRobinsonRobinsonPowerlitePowerlitePowerlitePowerlite...and "non-BMX" SchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnSchwinnWorksmanGT!
FLY ON FOREVER, BIRD!!!
The warrior embraces all around him. The desire to kill no longer exists. Only peace remains. -- King of Qin, Hero

#43 2017-03-01 4:47pm

king stinger
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-02-17

perront wrote:

king stinger wrote:

The Stovepipe is NOT your grail, and you haven't built it yet.  Find a way to put it in my hands! lol

No,but i do love it,that is what i am saying,hard to let go.

#44 2017-07-18 6:33pm

Cru Jumper Jones
Museum Addict

I recently sold practically all my BMX because I saw my elderly Mom having some physical difficulty. That caused me to worry about my future, as I am not exactly established in life like most of my friends & cousins are. So I sold it because I did not want to be listing/packaging it all during a time of great stress in the future, in case something happens. I thought I'd never look back after selling it all. I caught myself a few times gazing at some BMX pictures, but quickly & strictly told myself to forget it & move on. I was proud of myself for being so stoic.

Now, I am having thoughts of coming back to BMX & this time keeping it until I expire or only selling it complete in my elderly years; if no one buys it, oh well. I refuse to part it out to 20 different buyers. Been there already. Not doing it again. I hate these decisions. I would be coming back for just 1 complete build worth a few thousand. I guess it's ultimately a money issue with me, as I'm not very financially-efficient. I'm 46 & told myself I do not want to be holding onto any BMX at 50. I had started adopting the minimalist lifestyle of lessening my possessions. Maybe even one day being able to just pack my backpack & leave in the middle of the night.

Your thoughts please BMX brothers. Thank you.

#45 2017-07-18 7:04pm

leiper204
Pro Member
Signed up: 2010-06-05
Bikes: 8

I am down to one RL20II survivor that I have had for 7 years I dont ever plan on selling it and  I keep it in boxes out of sight.I sold the the forklifter plate a  few years ago like an idiot. I just bought another one to replace it,thank god I finally found one...just scored a 2000 Haro Mirra 540 air at a yard sale so its my new bike,no more for me thats it

Last edited by leiper204 (2017-07-18 7:06pm)

#46 2017-07-18 7:05pm

Thetrooper
Pro Member
Signed up: 2013-03-29

Lots of guys have sold out and walked away. Probably never looked back...just a phase, I guess. Sounds like BMX runs a little deeper in you then "just a phase".  I know it does for me.

I still have a fair amount of stuff, but the childhood replicas (4) I'll keep to the end. I thought about keeping just 2 so my family didn't have to deal with everything, but when I look around, I have crap piled on top of crap...and not just BMX. When I'm gone, they can reminisce before the aution

Need a gold Suzue high flange rear hub in really good condition

Win TWINS!!!

#47 2017-07-18 8:31pm

spyndrome
Intermediate
Signed up: 2010-08-18
Bikes: 1

I can't afford to own bikes I don't ride. I sold almost all of my 80s gear long ago. I ride about every day but on 4x bikes. I am looking for a modern race bike though. I love the history of BMX and seeing all of the 70s and 80s bikes here but I don't feel the yearning to own one at this point.

Whatever works. I don't have the desire to collect but I love seeing what people build and toss on here. I do wonder what will become of all this history when the average age here is closer to retirement age. Not sure the younger people will be interested in older bikes. They will probably be flipping out over the 2010 Supercross or whatever.

#48 2017-07-19 6:10am

made2drag
Pro MemberHaro Lineage Fan
Signed up: 2012-03-15
Bikes: 9

"How hard was it, to sell your ONE last grail?"

That wont happen unless someone offers $10,000   lollollol

#49 2017-07-19 6:27am

spagbol23
Intermediate
Signed up: 2017-05-16
Website

If this is a midlife crisis issue, read my sig and go from there.

I'm not having a midlife crisis, its just I don't give a F**K, about the things I don't give a F**K about, anymore.

#50 2017-07-19 6:51am

Kurt_Rad
Pro Member
Signed up: 2011-01-10
Bikes: 102

Have no qualms about selling. Bikes come and go. There will always be others.

Board footer