You are not logged in.

3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

#1 2008-12-19 3:03pm

QTRPNDR
Member
Signed up: 2008-11-25
Posts: 31
Bikes: 3
Offline

3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

They aren't interchangeable???  3/8 only fits certain make bikes???

Just asking because I noticed a pair or wheels for sale in the classifieds, and one guy replied that he'd be all over them but they are 14mm axles...

Please fill in the noob, thanks!!!  hmm

Last edited by QTRPNDR (2008-12-19 3:04pm)

Offline

 

#2 2008-12-19 3:13pm

SCIVIC94
Pro Member
From: New Jersey
Signed up: 2008-01-23
Posts: 2937
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 18
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

14mm axles are 1/2" diameter.most new wheels have hollow axles so shaving the axle will not work. 14mm axles will not fit older bikes that came with 3/8" axles.unless you can find flattened axles. now you can use 3/8 axles on new school frames if you buy spacer adapters.14mm axles are more for people who need a strong axle for crazy street and trail riding.

Offline

 

#3 2008-12-19 3:15pm

psychoduddycycles
Pro MemberWAYYYY in the red since 1983
From: Mt. E., NJ/ NOLA
Signed up: 2006-12-31
Posts: 13469
Bikes: 10
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

14mm are a larger diameter axle. Therefore the frames to accept them have larger slots. You can buy reducing washers to use 3/8ths axles on 14mm frames but not vice versa.

Damn, I type slow.  Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol

Last edited by psychoduddycycles (2008-12-19 3:16pm)


Sometimes, to make a paradise, you gotta release a SERPENT.

Offline

 

#4 2008-12-19 3:18pm

QTRPNDR
Member
Signed up: 2008-11-25
Posts: 31
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

Maybe this is the wrong question to ask, but why not just clearance the dropout area (I think that's what it's called)" to accomodate the larger diameter 14mm axles???  Or do people just not want to do that to their bikes???  I only have a couple of mid 90's Dyno's and a mid 90's GT, they're nothing special I'm sure...

Last edited by QTRPNDR (2008-12-19 3:19pm)

Offline

 

#5 2008-12-19 3:20pm

SCIVIC94
Pro Member
From: New Jersey
Signed up: 2008-01-23
Posts: 2937
Bikes: 25
For Sale: 18
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

some people have done that.just make sure you grind both dropouts very close to each other or you will have an unlevel rear wheel.that is what chases most away.

Offline

 

#6 2008-12-19 3:24pm

IceBreaker
Centurion Member
From: Annapolis, Maryland
Signed up: 2008-12-12
Posts: 108
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

QTRPNDR wrote:

They aren't interchangeable???  3/8 only fits certain make bikes???

Just asking because I noticed a pair or wheels for sale in the classifieds, and one guy replied that he'd be all over them but they are 14mm axles...

Please fill in the noob, thanks!!!  hmm

I think I'm the guy your talking about.  I always thought that a 14mm axle wouldn't fit in my old school 3/8 forks or dropout.  Is this noob wrong??  If I am I will buy that wheelset.big_smile

Last edited by IceBreaker (2008-12-19 5:01pm)


Crabcakes and Football, That's what Maryland does!

Offline

 

#7 2008-12-19 4:10pm

Hobbes12
AdminDon’t Be a Wussy!
From: Lebanon Oregon
Signed up: 2007-07-02
Posts: 48246
Bikes: 42
Website
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

IceBreaker wrote:

QTRPNDR wrote:

They aren't interchangeable???  3/8 only fits certain make bikes???

Just asking because I noticed a pair or wheels for sale in the classifieds, and one guy replied that he'd be all over them but they are 14mm axles...

Please fill in the noob, thanks!!!  hmm

I think I'm the guy your talking about.  I always thought that a 14mm axle wouldn't fit in my old school 3/8 forks or dropout.  Is this noob wrong??  If I am I will buys that wheelset.big_smile

14mm well not fit in 3/8 frames or forks.
Unless you do what SCIVIC94 is saying.
And grinding out the dropouts on frames and forks to make them fit, I WOULD NOT DO THAT mad


hobbes1278@gmail.com
Akisu Auburn Blue Max DB Dyno ELF FA GT Haro Hawk Hutch JMC Mongoose National Pro Redline Roger DeCoster Schwinn SE Skyway WTP

Offline

 

#8 2008-12-19 5:02pm

IceBreaker
Centurion Member
From: Annapolis, Maryland
Signed up: 2008-12-12
Posts: 108
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

Guys, I know they won't fit, that's why I posted that I was sorry that wheelset was 14mm because they wouldn't fit.  What do I know, I'm a noob. wink


Crabcakes and Football, That's what Maryland does!

Offline

 

#9 2008-12-19 5:14pm

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Signed up: 2007-06-28
Posts: 33809
Bikes: 87
Website
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

thay will fit but only if you swap the axle for a flate axel. suZey , kink and khe make flat 14mm axels for most hubs! but if you have a os frame do not file it it will make it wearth a lot less. if you go to sale it.


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#10 2008-12-19 7:12pm

80sOregonRacer
Expert
From: Salem, OR
Signed up: 2008-12-06
Posts: 725
Bikes: 8
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

QTRPNDR wrote:

Maybe this is the wrong question to ask, but why not just clearance the dropout area (I think that's what it's called)" to accomodate the larger diameter 14mm axles???  Or do people just not want to do that to their bikes???  I only have a couple of mid 90's Dyno's and a mid 90's GT, they're nothing special I'm sure...

Yikes.. good way to f*& up a nice frame set, especially if its chrome.


In over my bars...

"Pain is temporary, but a prize is forever... go for the prize"

Offline

 

#11 2008-12-19 7:19pm

QTRPNDR
Member
Signed up: 2008-11-25
Posts: 31
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

80sOregonRacer wrote:

QTRPNDR wrote:

Maybe this is the wrong question to ask, but why not just clearance the dropout area (I think that's what it's called)" to accomodate the larger diameter 14mm axles???  Or do people just not want to do that to their bikes???  I only have a couple of mid 90's Dyno's and a mid 90's GT, they're nothing special I'm sure...

Yikes.. good way to f*& up a nice frame set, especially if its chrome.

That's why I figured it was a no-no to ask, the idea doesn't thrill me, and I more than likely wouldn't do it, I was just curious as to how much it would be frowned on by the hardcore BMX purists...  It just seems as though the 14mm setups are more plentiful than the 3/8" setups, when you look at wheels for sale, or am I imagining things???

Last edited by QTRPNDR (2008-12-19 7:19pm)

Offline

 

#12 2008-12-22 12:42pm

bobinverted
Centurion Member
From: Arizona
Signed up: 2007-09-10
Posts: 177
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

QTRPNDR wrote:

That's why I figured it was a no-no to ask, the idea doesn't thrill me, and I more than likely wouldn't do it, I was just curious as to how much it would be frowned on by the hardcore BMX purists...  It just seems as though the 14mm setups are more plentiful than the 3/8" setups, when you look at wheels for sale, or am I imagining things???

14mm setups are more plentiful because most kids ride street, park and trails these days. 3/8 is the old school bmx racing size axle. They weigh less, but they don't have the strength for new school street, park and trails riding that the 14mm axles do. That's it.

Offline

 

#13 2008-12-22 4:34pm

Thrash
Pro Member
From: Portland, OR
Signed up: 2006-03-21
Posts: 2606
Bikes: 16
Website
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

grinding the dropout makes the dropouts weaker, specially on race frames with have think dropouts to begin with

Last edited by Thrash (2008-12-22 4:34pm)


It's nice to be important but its more important to be nice.
current race rigs:
2020 Yess Pro xxl World Cup
2017 Yess type X 24 xl

Offline

 

#14 2014-05-20 10:49pm

RL 720 SLX
Centurion Member
From: Sydney Australia
Signed up: 2011-07-24
Posts: 143
Bikes: 1
Website
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

File down the 14mm axle in the area where the drop outs are.. and fit it in.. the 3/8" axles are shit, they bend all the time, so I will be converting my repoe sealed skyways to 14mm, I will just get a sealed bearing set that has the same outer diameter and thickness as the old one and 14mm internal diameter..


“The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.”
William Shakespeare

Offline

 

#15 2014-05-21 2:11am

Crashman
ModeratorTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Signed up: 2012-04-22
Posts: 8510
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

RL 700 SL wrote:

File down the 14mm axle in the area where the drop outs are.. and fit it in.. the 3/8" axles are shit, they bend all the time, so I will be converting my repoe sealed skyways to 14mm, I will just get a sealed bearing set that has the same outer diameter and thickness as the old one and 14mm internal diameter..

Right, I keep hearing about hollow axles that you can't flatten yourself, but most of the 14mm axles I see are for street/park riding and are solid.


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#16 2014-05-21 3:17am

Burning River
BMXer 4 Life
From: Westside Of Cleveland
Signed up: 2010-11-27
Posts: 14129
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

There are 14mm Axles that are slotted to 3/8 but you have to be careful because most aren't compatible to Profile Hubs or similar ones .

http://180dist.com/backend/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_6737.jpg

Last edited by Burning River (2014-05-21 3:17am)


" Some may never live, but the crazy never die. "

     ~ Hunter S. Thompson 

Offline

 

#17 2016-05-02 7:47am

ford1981
Pro Member
From: Melbourne, Australia
Signed up: 2015-03-03
Posts: 402
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

psychoduddycycles wrote:

14mm are a larger diameter axle. Therefore the frames to accept them have larger slots. You can buy reducing washers to use 3/8ths axles on 14mm frames but not vice versa.

Damn, I type slow.  Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol

Where can I get these from? I need them for a set of 14mm axle Haro hubs and I want to run 3/8" hub axles

Offline

 

#18 2016-05-02 8:43am

FRESSTYLE FREEK
Pro Member
From: Fountain Valley, CA
Signed up: 2007-06-28
Posts: 33809
Bikes: 87
Website
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

ford1981 wrote:

psychoduddycycles wrote:

14mm are a larger diameter axle. Therefore the frames to accept them have larger slots. You can buy reducing washers to use 3/8ths axles on 14mm frames but not vice versa.

Damn, I type slow.  Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol

Where can I get these from? I need them for a set of 14mm axle Haro hubs and I want to run 3/8" hub axles

he means if say your frame is filed to fit 14MM axles there's a washer for that so you can fit a 3/8 axle in it with no slop. they allso make the washer for pegs to.

but you cant swap out 14 mm axles that I know off in hubs for 3/8 axles. however if you have  a free coaster  hub or casset  hub with screw in / thread in axle half's they do make adapters. from male to female and vise versa.


Kindness is like Manure does You No Good unless You spread It around
bikes were made to be pedalled if we don't ride them they get sad:(!
YES I RIDE A PINK BIKE!! WANT TO MAKE SOME THING OUT OF IT!

2017 heavyweight build off entry submission thread link
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.p … 0#p5846730

Offline

 

#19 2016-05-02 9:29am

ford1981
Pro Member
From: Melbourne, Australia
Signed up: 2015-03-03
Posts: 402
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

Damn I was hoping I could put 3/8" hub axles in the hubs I have I've been looking for female hub axles for my back wheel hubs well because the front already has one if I can find a female hub axle I might have to get the adapter bolts from 14mm to 3/8"

Offline

 

#20 2016-05-02 9:32am

ford1981
Pro Member
From: Melbourne, Australia
Signed up: 2015-03-03
Posts: 402
Bikes: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

Or if there's bigger bearing cones that fit on a 3/8" axle would work too wouldn't it?

Offline

 

#21 2016-05-02 12:33pm

Skid
Centurion Member
From: United Kingdom
Signed up: 2011-10-27
Posts: 198
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

FRESSTYLE FREEK wrote:

ford1981 wrote:

psychoduddycycles wrote:

14mm are a larger diameter axle. Therefore the frames to accept them have larger slots. You can buy reducing washers to use 3/8ths axles on 14mm frames but not vice versa.

Damn, I type slow.  Yeah, what he said. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ lol

Where can I get these from? I need them for a set of 14mm axle Haro hubs and I want to run 3/8" hub axles

he means if say your frame is filed to fit 14MM axles there's a washer for that so you can fit a 3/8 axle in it with no slop. they allso make the washer for pegs to.

but you cant swap out 14 mm axles that I know off in hubs for 3/8 axles. however if you have  a free coaster  hub or casset  hub with screw in / thread in axle half's they do make adapters. from male to female and vise versa.

You can swap 3/8th and 14mm on GT Mohawks as long as you have the correct bearings

Offline

 

#22 2016-05-02 12:38pm

ohiobmx
Post Restriction
From: Cleveland, OH
Signed up: 2007-06-17
Posts: 2733
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

One axle is 3/8" and the other is 14mm.  I hope this answers your question.


"It's only an island if you look at it from the water."

Offline

 

#23 2020-11-25 4:10pm

bmxbum
Museum Newbie
Signed up: 2020-11-16
Posts: 7
Bikes: 1
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

I have to ask, is it the same wrench for the jam nuts on both 3/8th and 14mm axles?? I'm buying a jam nut wrench once and for all and can't seem to find the outside diameter answered anywhere. Thanks

Offline

 

#24 2020-11-25 4:40pm

Crashman
ModeratorTo Get Me Riled
From: Mount Pleasant, MI
Signed up: 2012-04-22
Posts: 8510
Bikes: 2
For Sale: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

bmxbum wrote:

I have to ask, is it the same wrench for the jam nuts on both 3/8th and 14mm axles?? I'm buying a jam nut wrench once and for all and can't seem to find the outside diameter answered anywhere. Thanks

They're all different sizes, even in the same axle size. For example, most bearing cones for 10x3/16" front hubs had 13mm flats. Most bearing cones for 9x1/4 rear hubs had 15mm flats. Many of those smaller cones came with 15mm-hex jam nuts. Many of those larger cones came with 17mm jam nuts. And Suzue had some oversized jam nuts that were...I believe 19mm.

And then 14mm axles came along. Many of those used 15mm cone flats and 17mm jam nuts, but that's not universal. If you have a 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm cone wrench, you can service most hubs. As for the jam nuts, you can use a regular wrench.


Wanted: OPC shells for 6005 bearings (47mm)

Offline

 

#25 2020-11-25 4:45pm

Undercover
Pro MemberHot to Death
From: Southern New England
Signed up: 2015-05-03
Posts: 5150
Bikes: 10
For Sale: 3
Offline

Re: 3/8" vs. 14mm axles... what's the story???

Some of my bikes have 14mm nuts some have 15mm axle nuts. But none of my axles are 14mm diameter they are all 3/8”. You should probably get a wrench set so you have every size.

Offline

 

Board footer