You are not logged in.

1999 GT Tour

#1 2010-09-25 4:14pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

1999 GT Tour

http://bmxmuseum.com/image/99_gt_tour_01.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/99_gt_tour_02.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/99_gt_tour_03.jpg http://bmxmuseum.com/image/99_gt_tour_04.jpg

1999 GT Tour

How BMX'ers do bling!

I started out searching for a black 99 Tour,  then happened upon this NOS chrome Tour frame.  I built it all stock, but then decided it need some more character.  I went through every little part and fastener on the bike and proceeded to strip, sand, chrome, or de-annodize until every part was either silver or chrome.  Added a chrome FSA headset, swapped the profile cranks for the 2001 GT tubular cranks, and swapped the Gyro with a Snafu Mobeus detangler.  Couldn't find the original dropnose seat with the spandura cover, so I used a newer 200 grit dropnose seat.  Which in the end looked better because the white logo doesn't clash with the color scheme the way the red embroidered logos would.  Also, swapped the GT pedals with NOS Shimano DX pedals (the newer Gen.) Serial# 03990018 TOUR
Hope you dig my BMX bling!!


http://bmxmuseum.com/img/view-bike-in-museum.gif


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#2 2010-09-25 6:27pm

PJ311foo
Banned
From: Minneapolis, MN
Signed up: 2010-07-25
Posts: 627
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

That is badass! All the work you did really shows. Man, I need sunglasses :cool:

Offline

 

#3 2010-09-25 8:50pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

PJ311foo wrote:

That is badass! All the work you did really shows. Man, I need sunglasses :cool:

You should see it on a sunny day.  I had to shoot those pics on an overcast day or the shots would have way too many flares to look decent on film.


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#4 2010-09-26 10:44am

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
From: Greece, Athens
Signed up: 2006-11-05
Posts: 3483
Bikes: 12
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

VERY carefully chosen parts and the mirror shine make it justice!!!


Also, yours must be the SECOND 1999 i've ever seen and the FIRST one in chrome.
I wonder if they really build any of these?! 2000 and 1998 are quite common.

Also i think that a set of GT Overdrives would make it more sexy...if you approve this move go ahead and do it ;)


Looks lovely anyway!


Duke.


!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

Offline

 

#5 2010-09-26 2:00pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
From: Greece, Athens
Signed up: 2006-11-05
Posts: 3483
Bikes: 12
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

PS: i really liked the aluminum 'fiesta' U-brake locks that have been striped and polished ;)


Duke.


!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

Offline

 

#6 2010-09-26 4:32pm

PJ311foo
Banned
From: Minneapolis, MN
Signed up: 2010-07-25
Posts: 627
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Duke 01 wrote:

PS: i really liked the aluminum 'fiesta' U-brake locks that have been striped and polished ;)


Duke.

Yeah, he def. put a lot of time and effort into this bike. Makes it that much cooler in my opinion. Friggin Sweet! :cool:

Offline

 

#7 2010-09-26 9:06pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Duke 01 wrote:

PS: i really liked the aluminum 'fiesta' U-brake locks that have been striped and polished ;)


Duke.

Ahh, I'm glad you noticed.  That was to get rid of that black plastic housings and tall springs of the regular 990's.  I got those funny green colored locks from some Dia-Tech box brakes, de-annodized them and then wet sanded.  The bolts are from Odyssey Evolvers, sanded.

Last edited by Slicer GBA (2010-09-27 1:53am)


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#8 2010-09-26 9:09pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

And I would love to put on some overdrives, I just haven't been able to afford a nice set whenever they come up for sale. :(


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#9 2010-09-27 3:19am

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
From: Greece, Athens
Signed up: 2006-11-05
Posts: 3483
Bikes: 12
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

PJ311foo wrote:

Makes it that much cooler in my opinion. Friggin Sweet! :cool:

Yes it does :D
It's the only way to follow if you love your bike and want the best results.
Time & money is all you need...maybe some skills too.




Slicer GBA wrote:

Ahh, I'm glad you noticed.  That was to get rid of that black plastic housings and tall springs of the regular 990's.  I got those funny green colored locks from some Dia-Tech box brakes, de-annodized them and then wet sanded.  The bolts are from Odyssey Evolvers, sanded.

I wouldn't let those get away!! haha
Dia-Tech U BOX brakes are CNC'ed all the way! Where did you find them?
I got a set after too much searching :(
If you don't need the hit me up.

I did the same with a set of these locks, i kinda hated the ano green.




Yeah, damn Overdrives still go for $200+ if they are in nos condition.
Nice cranks though, mine are rider condition and managed to find these puppies for $116


I'll keep my eyes open ;)




Duke.


!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

Offline

 

#10 2010-09-27 1:59pm

troynlori
AdminPedal Peddler
From: Virginia Beach, VA
Signed up: 2009-11-22
Posts: 23314
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 138
Online

Re: 1999 GT Tour

U gotta love these Tour's....picked up ours this summer.  Shiny & heavy duty!

Yours looks cool - dig those stickers.

Last edited by troynlori (2010-09-27 2:00pm)


Hey!

Online

 

#11 2010-09-27 7:38pm

cnc6306
Oakley goggles man
From: Manchester, CN
Signed up: 2009-01-25
Posts: 3795
Bikes: 2
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

awesome job , this bike looks great , very nice :cool:


TOPHER

Offline

 

#12 2010-09-27 9:04pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

troynlori wrote:

U gotta love these Tour's....picked up ours this summer.  Shiny & heavy duty!

Yours looks cool - dig those stickers.

"Heavy" being the key word.  This sucker is like 35 lbs!


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#13 2010-09-29 9:39am

troynlori
AdminPedal Peddler
From: Virginia Beach, VA
Signed up: 2009-11-22
Posts: 23314
Bikes: 11
For Sale: 138
Online

Re: 1999 GT Tour

34-35# was my estimate too.  I notice GT did not list it in the catalog.  At first it seems limiting, but I think it is really a matter of ride style.  And not having to worry about breaking it is great.  It is an indestructo machine...


Hey!

Online

 

#14 2011-02-14 12:45am

The-Elemental-Empire
Formerly "mrshowtime"
Signed up: 2007-06-24
Posts: 250
Bikes: 50
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Your Tour looks amazing and you did a great job. In case any one was wondering, your frame is very rare and only came as a frame kit for 1999. You could only get the complete bike in black but the frame kit was available in black or chrome. Also your frame was not even in the GT catalog and only the black Tour is shown. They also had a super rare GT Show frame kit for 1999 that came in chrome and had those same rainbow looking decals and it was also not shown in the catalog either. I used to sell GT bikes back then and I am glad to see that a chrome 1999 GT Tour survived all these years.


Want to buy - Dans Comp catalogs from 1997-2005
Also
Want to buy - BMX catalogs from 1997-2005

Offline

 

#15 2011-03-04 3:44am

zflat
Member
Signed up: 2009-08-12
Posts: 88
Bikes: 9
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

amazing job man! thats is the best Tour in this site!!!

Offline

 

#16 2011-03-10 2:13pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

The-Elemental-Empire wrote:

Your Tour looks amazing and you did a great job. In case any one was wondering, your frame is very rare and only came as a frame kit for 1999. You could only get the complete bike in black but the frame kit was available in black or chrome. Also your frame was not even in the GT catalog and only the black Tour is shown. They also had a super rare GT Show frame kit for 1999 that came in chrome and had those same rainbow looking decals and it was also not shown in the catalog either. I used to sell GT bikes back then and I am glad to see that a chrome 1999 GT Tour survived all these years.

Hey, thanks for the great info!!  I did notice it wasn't in the catalog, that's why I was originally going to do a black one.


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#17 2013-05-25 8:58pm

Raddynodetour
Expert
From: knoxville, TN
Signed up: 2012-05-27
Posts: 731
Bikes: 10
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Did you find it in chrome or was it black and you chromed it? You put that you chromed some stuff just wondering? PS AWESOME!!! No matter which way.


That's right I'm different. I like dyno's!!!!!
My Super Clean 87' dyno!
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/dyno/58775#.UaVcnWS9LCQ
need: 1985 Dyno Compe #1 prototype

Offline

 

#18 2013-05-26 10:51am

Raddynodetour
Expert
From: knoxville, TN
Signed up: 2012-05-27
Posts: 731
Bikes: 10
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Simple fact though super nice bike really awesome!!!!! I love it!! Forgot to mention that. Instant fav.


That's right I'm different. I like dyno's!!!!!
My Super Clean 87' dyno!
http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/dyno/58775#.UaVcnWS9LCQ
need: 1985 Dyno Compe #1 prototype

Offline

 

#19 2013-11-18 9:17pm

Slicer GBA
Intermediate
From: Los Angeles, CA
Signed up: 2007-02-15
Posts: 280
Bikes: 6
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Raddynodetour wrote:

Did you find it in chrome or was it black and you chromed it? You put that you chromed some stuff just wondering? PS AWESOME!!! No matter which way.

I found it as a chrome frame.


Dyno UL plate, Dyno Brake Guard - D1, D2, or UL

Offline

 

#20 2013-11-20 8:06pm

Duke 01
Lunatic Child
From: Greece, Athens
Signed up: 2006-11-05
Posts: 3483
Bikes: 12
Offline

Re: 1999 GT Tour

Slicer GBA wrote:

Raddynodetour wrote:

Did you find it in chrome or was it black and you chromed it? You put that you chromed some stuff just wondering? PS AWESOME!!! No matter which way.

I found it as a chrome frame.

1999 GT Tour was also available in chrome too, but only as a frame & fork ;)
I believe is even rarer than the 1999 gloss black ones


!Midschool TANK freak!

GT parts wanted:  # GT Profile 3pc cranks in 175mm, Mint // # One GT Fly-Cutter 45t USA-Made sprocket, NOS or Mint

Offline

 

Board footer