1980 Schwinn King Sting 26
This is my extremely rare 1980 King Sting Prototype 1 of only 10 manufactured by Schwinn as sales rep frames.
Built: DECEMBER of 1980.
~~~ King Sting Holy Grail ~~~
For more pics click here.
Frame number: MR814781
~~~ Here is the seller's (locort) original description ~~~
This is a rare prototype King Sting from 1980. My understanding is this frame is 1 of 10 chrome prototype King Stings made by Marc Muller of the out Waterford plant (now Paramount bikes). There are no other King Stings that were originally chromed except for these 10 prototypes. These prototypes were never intended to be sold to the public. The serial number is MR814781. This King Sting was provided as a frame for Schwinn reps to show to local Southeast Schwinn dealers in 1981. Eventually, a Schwinn dealer ended up with it and built it up in 1981 to how you see it today with the exception of the cranks. The original dealer decal is still on the seat tube, “Bobs Cycle Shop…Rome GA”. Originally it came with Cook Bros cranks. Other than the cranks, tires and grips, it is original as first built. This is a once in a lifetime score for Schwinn or diehard BMX cruiser collectors. This was one of the last true American made Schwinns built using the old school brazing techniques as originallly used at Schwinn before inventing their electro-forging process in the 1950s. The fillet brazing is exceptional and goes beyond the regular quality of the painted King Stings. It is a true museum piece for the Schwinn aficionado.
~~~ Original Build ~~~
- - Prototype Chrome King Sting 1/10
- - Tange fork- Vector Cruiser bars with original decal
- - MKS pedals
- - Araya rims- Chen Shin knooby tires
- - AME grips
- - Front Sunshine hub, rear is from a Tandem wheel
- - ACS stoker seat with original Cal Lite seat cover
- - Suntour 40t chain ring- Takagi 175mm one piece cranks- Sugino crank spider
Overall condition is excellent. The chrome is a 9 out of 10…really exceptional for 33 years. This bike never sat outside. It has NOT been polished or thoroughly cleaned. The decals on the chain stays are OEM replacements. The down tube and seat tube decals are original. This is a rare piece of history.
Link to pdf explaining the bike's provenance. The previous owner got this information from the 2nd owner who he purchased the bicycle from.
Link to another guys claim to have one of the 10 (mentioned in the PDF above).
~~~ The New Build ~~~
Frame: Chrome original, 18" Schwinn King Sting
Fork: Chrome, 26" King Sting
Bars: Chrome, King Sting
Stem: Blue, stamped Schwinn
Headset: Chrome/Blue, YST
Saddle: Black, Schwinn Le Tour
Seat Post: Chrome, Schwinn 28.6
Seat clamp: Blue, stamped Schwinn 28.6
Rims: Clear, Ukai (26" x 2.25") HE
Hubs: Silver, Suntour sealed bearings
Freewheel: Silver, stamped Team Schwinn 16t
Chain: Nickel, HKK
Chain ring: Silver, Sugino 40t
Chain ring bolts: Blue, Sugino stamped
Spider: Silver, Schwinn
Cranks: Silver, Team Schwinn 175mm (pretty rare)
Bottom bracket: Polished silver, Schwinn 28tpi
Pedals: Silver, MKS BMX-10
Tires: Black/Gum-wall, 26" Schwinn Studded Balloon Knobby 26x2.125
Grips: Black, Oury
Front/Rear Brakes and Pads: Blue, Dia Compe MX-1000 w/Shimano DX Lever
I hope you all enjoy this rare build
~~~ Thanks to those who have helped ~~~
- - route66 for finding the bike for me (twice!)
- - locort for selling me this rare bike
- - king stinger for the correct Shimano tapered spindle
- - ncmalko1 for the beautiful polished Schwinn stamped bottom bracket
- - antiguebmx for the complete NOS blue MX1000 rear brake setup and a nice set of KKT blue pedals
- - Many, many thanks to ncmalko1 for all his help on this build
- - Larry K and Dave Marchese for all the help along the way over the years!
Submitted by jonmarinello